Prime Minister Narendra Modi, in his address to the nation on Tuesday, has urged the nation to continue the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.
As a part of his 7-point appeal to the nation, he has advised everyone to follow the guidelines laid down by the Ministry of AYUSH to help everyone build their immunity and fight against the pandemic.
The guidelines laid down by the Ministry find their roots in the science of Ayurveda, which propagates the use of the gifts of nature for a healthy and happy life.
Here are the key practices that have been suggested by the Ministry of AYUSH to ensure the health and well-being of all Indians.
Boost your immunity with these everyday practices
It has been advised to incorporate these everyday practices to your daily routine for the general upkeep of your health
- Drink warm water daily
- Practice the art of meditation including Yoga and Pranayam for at least 30 minutes every day
- Make sure you add spices like Haldi, Jeera, Dhaniya and Garlic to your cooking to help ensure that you have a strong immune system that can fight this infection.
Ayurveda tested immunity-boosting techniques
These Ayurveda inspired techniques can be followed every day, as per the guidelines issued by the Ministry of AYUSH, to make sure your body’s immunity is strong enough to fight off the novel coronavirus infection.
- 1 tablespoon full of Chyavanprash every day will go a long way in building our immunity.
- A herbal concoction of Tulsi, Dalchini, Kalimirch, Dry Ginger can be taken once or twice a day as the ultimate immunity booster at times like these. You can add lemon juice to your drink as well to ensure you meet the essential everyday requirement of Vitamin C as well.
- Half a teaspoon of Haldi in a glass of warm milk has been used since ages as the perfect immunity-booster.
- Apply sesame oil, coconut oil or ghee in both your nostrils in the morning and evening
- Take one tablespoon of sesame oil or edible coconut oil and swish in your mouth for 2-3 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water afterwards and repeat this once or twice a day.
Remedies for dry cough and sore throat
As the COVID-19 infection affects the respiratory system, the Ministry has recommended the following Ayurvedic remedies for when you have a sore throat.
- Steam inhalation with Mint or Ajwain water can be practised once a day.
- A natural remedy for cough is to mix clove powder with honey and have it 2-3 times a day.
However, as part of the guidelines, the Ministry states that these remedies are to treat normal cough and cold.
If your symptoms persist, it is important that you visit a doctor and get yourself tested for the COVID-19 virus.