UIDAI the agency responsible for Aadhaar has launched an app named mAadhaar, an app for syncing Aadhaar data on mobile phones. The mAadhaar app is available only for Android OS and can be downloaded from the Google Play Store.. This new app from UIDAI will let users share their Aadhaar info with third-party services.
What does the mAadhaar app do and is it reliable is a big question. Let us find out all the details about the mAadhaar App by UIDAI.
First and foremost download the app from Google Play Store on your Android Smartphone. Once you have installed and made the setup of the mAadhar app on your phone, your Aadhaar card profile including your number, address and other details will be stored on the app.
This app enables its users to share their Aadhaar profile and data with third-party applications via NFC, QR codes, barcodes or even email their details. One added benefit of having this app in your phone is that if you are buying a new SIM card, you might be asked for an Aadhaar card, you can use this app to share your Aadhaar information with the service provider.
Points To Remember When Downloading Maadhaar App:
- Prior downloading the mAadhaar app on your Android phone, make sure the mobile number/SIM is of the same number as the one linked to your Aadhaar card.
- Registered Mobile Number is necessary to use mAadhaar app. In the case of not having a registered mobile number on Aadhaar details; visit the nearest Enrolment Centre/Mobile Update End Point.
- This mobile number, which you had submitted at the time of registering your Aadhaar card, is the one on which you will get an OTP (One Time Password) for validating and setting up profiles on the mAadhaar App.
- If that mobile number is not active, then verification won’t be successful.
- Aadhaar profile can be downloaded only on mobile devices having registered mobile number.
- Please do not navigate from application if it is waiting for SMS. mAadhaar will automatically read the OTP once it is received.
- There is no provision to manually enter the OTP anywhere in mAadhaar. This is a security feature.
- mAadhaar needs to connect and download data from UIDAI. So ensure that internet connectivity is available on your phone.
- One Aadhaar profile can be active on only one device at a time. If you create profile on another device by inserting the SIM in another device, the previous profile would become inactive and would be deleted from older device whenever any operation is attempted from that device.
- If members of your family have the same mobile number registered as you in their Aadhaar, you can add their profile in your device.
- A user can add maximum 3 profiles in his device, all having same mobile number registered in their Aadhaar.
Step By Step Procedure for Setting up Your Profile on the App:
- Once downloaded, open the app.
- On the home screen you will be asked to create a password. You should enter a password of length minimum 8 and maximum 12 characters. The password should contain at least 1 number, 1 alphabet, 1 special character ( @,#,&,%,*,!,-,(,) ) and 1 alphabet in capital e.g. Example@123
- As this is password is important, select a password which is unique and has some special characters in it. This password is required every time you perform any action on the app.
- After you have created the password, fill in your Aadhaar card data.
- Next, a verification code will be sent to your registered mobile number and your Aadhaar data will be synced with the App.
How helpful is the mAadhaar App to the common man?
The app does helps; let us have a look on the options it offers.
- If a person has not locked his or her biometrics for Aadhaar, then the app will prompt to lock these.
- Do note that once you lock your biometrics, you can’t use these to activate any new service. For ex., if you are establishing a bank account with Aadhaar Card verification, the biometrics will not work since you have locked them. However, you can always unlock these as by going in the settings menu.
- Basically the app will let you share your e-KYC or QR code, which has all the data for verification.
- You will have to tap on the menu on the top left corner, denoted by three dots.
- There is an option to share e-KYC via Bluetooth, email, etc.
- Here, the app password is needed to validate all of this data,
Key Features of the mAadhaar App by UIDAI:
- It is a handy way to carry Aadhaar number with demographic details anytime, anywhere.
- It secures biometric authentication by locking biometrics data.
- Once resident enables Biometric Locking system their biometric remains locked till the Aadhaar Holder chose to either unlock it or disable the locking system.
- A TOTP or a Time-based One-Time Password is generated which can be used instead of SMS based OTP.
- An updated view of Aadhaar profile data after successful completion setup of the app.
- You can share your QR code and password protected eKYC data to recover accurate demographic information from it instead of manual entry.
The idea is to ease the process of linking and sharing Aadhaar profile. The main benefit is that now you can do it from your smartphone itself. Where security features of the app are concerned, there is the added measure of entering your password every time you want to do any action on the app.
In case of any issue or query, you can write to firstname.lastname@example.org
Also, the Finance Bill for 2017-18 made it obligatory from July 1 for anyone who has a PAN card to provide their Aadhaar number to the principal director general of income tax (systems) or DGIT (systems). To read more about linking your Aadhaar number with PAN Card read our article. Click Here.